Monday 25 April 2011

Product Review : Kiehl's Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol Free Toner

どのように誰もがやっている? (  How is everyone doing? )

I haven't posted in awhile due to work... 私の仕事は私を疲れされている. But anyways, let's continue with the review and skip the ranting! The star product for today is the Kiehl's Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol Free Toner!

A little information about the product first.

Kiehl's claims that this toner, formulated with select herbal extracts gently cleanses and soothes normal to oily skin types. It contains no alcohol or harsh synthetic drying agents. It may also be used to soothe and improve problem areas.

Cool Kiehl’s Fact: The calendula petals in our unique formula are still inserted by hand in the Kiehl’s apothecary tradition to assure the most efficacious formula. *As taken from Kiehl's official website*

I own the deluxe size of this product which contains 40ml of the product. This is how it looks like.



As you can see, the bottle really does contain flower petals, hand plucked or not, I can't really tell. Just believe the website! The picture below will show you the ingredients of this toner.


The key ingredient in this toner is obviously the Calendula which is the oil extracted from the Marigold flower. Kiehl's website says that this ingredient has really mild properties that makes it ideal for oily skin types or even sensitive skin. It's supposed to soothe the skin and be especially beneficial for delicate skin.

Another key ingredient would be the Allantoin, which is a compound that is found in Comfrey Root. The comfrey plant is a hairy perennial Eurasian herb long used in herbal medicine. Known to be a bacteria inhibitor, Allantoin can soothe and reduce inflammation in various product formulations or in this case, the toner.

The last key ingredient would be the Great Burdock which is a gentle, natural ingredient known for centuries to help improve dry skin.

* All descriptions and/of key ingredients are taken from the Kiehl's official website

At this point, some of you may be confused. If it's meant for oily skin, why would it contain an ingredient meant for improving dry skin? It's basically because there's two kinds of oily. One is what we know as simply, oily. The other oily is caused by dry skin. And precisely because the skin is dry, "it" would "think" that it needs to secrete more sebum to protect "itself" hence the oiliness! I'm sorry if my explanation is unclear  but any queries can be directed to our email.

MY take on this product?

I have been religiously using my deluxe sample for quite awhile now and I've almost finished using the entire bottle. To be honest, it really is very very soothing. I am quite sure that people with more irritated and red skin would love it. I have a combination skin that leans more towards being oily and I have to say that this toner doesn't help in controlling oil at all. I don't break out often nor do I have sensitive skin. After using this toner, I haven't seen any significant results but I really did like the soothing scent of this toner that smells particularly like herbal tea. The pleasant kind, not the bitter ones!

To appreciate it, I think you'd need to have sensitive skin or skin that is very prone to having redness or breakouts. I suggest trying a sample from Kiehl's first before purchasing. Do note that this sample is rather hard to come by but you can always try your luck! I will continue using this product especially when it's towards that time of the month to see how well it works. I'll do an update if necessary.

UPDATE!!!
It does help a little in keeping my skin clear but I honestly cannot justify forking out a whopping $110 for a toner... If you can, then I suppose you can try it! You can see the current promotion of Kiehl's in the recent Kiehl's post that I did up~

Scent : ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ (I really like the scent!)
Texture : ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ (Really lightweight, absorbs easily)
Effectiveness : ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ (Did nothing for me so far)
Overall : ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ (2.5 stars actually. An average toner? It does hydrate like any other toner would.)

Also, take note that this toner comes in three sizes, 125ml, 250ml and 500ml. It costs $58, $78 and $110 respectively. Am not really sure but will double confirm again! I really wouldn't recommend the smallest size because it's really too pricey for a toner. I wouldn't be able to justify my purchase. Get a sample or get the biggest bottle!

Cheers and goodnight,
Chiharu ❤

(> " " <)
( ='o'= )
-(,,)-(,,)-

Disclaimer : This is not a sponsored review so there's no need to state anything here!.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...