Saturday 14 May 2011

A Ringo A Day: Music of the Week

Title: I need some fine wine and you, you need to be nicer
Artist: The Cardigans
Genre: Pop-Rock, Alternative, Swedish Indie Pop
Album: Super Extra Gravity
iTunes | Official Website | Wikipedia



Albeit the long song title, this is really quite a catchy tune. I actually downloaded this coincidentally because the track title attracted me, and was lucky enough that it wasn't crap. Lovefool (another single) by The Cardigans isn't half-bad as well. Nina Persson has pretty expressive vocals, and the lyrics are sunny-cynical. Reminds me of Karen O from Yeah Yeah Yeahs somewhat, though I'm probably gonna be beaten down by fans from both sides for that comment eh?



Title: Sing it back
Artist: Moloko
Genre: Electronic Dance, Alternative Rock, Trip Hop, Nu Jazz
Album: I Am Not A Doctor
iTunes | Official Website | Wikipedia



Moloko consisted of an Anglo-Irish duo, though they went solo back in 2006. I love the etymology of their band name though. Moloko is Nadsat slang for 'milk' in the novel A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, and I have an inane predilection for band or song names that references weird quirky/ nerdy stuff (part of the reason I continue listening to They Might Be Giants).



Title: Psychological Counterpoint
Artist: Nujabes
Genre: Hip Hop, Trip Hop, Cool Jazz
Album: Saudade
last.fm | Wikipedia



Rest in peace Seba Jun, but your music lives on. I got to know of him through Samurai Champloo, and his stuff is real chill. It's my default music to listen to for de-stressing, and it never fails. I used to think Hip Hop was crap, but Samurai Champloo and its rad music changed my life.



Title: Get a Move on
Artist: Mr. Scruff
Genre: Downtempo, Trip Hop, Nu Jazz
iTune | Official Website | Wikipedia


(remixed from Moondog's Bird Lament)

I find it awesome when DJs sample unconventional music, and even more awesome when it's done well. The sax was great in Bird Lament, but acquires a different voice in Get a Move on. It was pretty avant-garde in the original rendition, but under Mr Scruff's hands becomes more accessible. In fact, I reckon most people only got to know of the original through the remix (it's a pretty old one).



Title: The Perfect Vision (Shinichi Osawa Remix)
Artist: Minmi
Genre: Japanese Hip-Hop, Soca, Reggae
Album: Miracle
iTunes | Official Website | Wikipedia




The is one of those instances whereby the remix is better than the original. It's an uptempo feel-good song that I inevitably place in my playlist for cold morning bus rides. If you like reggae, I highly recommend that you check Minmi out. She blends Japanese hip-hop, soca and reggae together seamlessly, and experiments with different genres as well (shiki no uta with nujabes being a notable one).


What sort of music do you guys listen to? Feel free to leave song suggestions in your comments below as well! I love to experiment listening to different genres, so anything goes (yeah, even death metal or dark ambient).


Singing off,
Ringo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...